Dr Marc Russo
Dr Russo founded Hunter Pain Clinic in 1999, Hamilton Day Surgery and Hunter Specialist Medical Centre in 2001, Genesis Research Services (formerly Hunter Clinical Research) in 2005, and Sydney Pain Specialists in 2016. He is also a co-founder of NAPS (Newcastle Anaesthetic Peri-operative Services).
Dr Russo’s vision was to provide a multidisciplinary approach to pain management and developed Australia’s first private, successful, multidisciplinary pain management model. Using this approach with clinical diligence, early intervention, education and research in the field of pain management, he successfully treats patients suffering from chronic persistent pain.
Dr Russo specialises in spinal cord stimulator implantation and completed two successful world first spinal cord stimulator device implantations in Newcastle, NSW, Australia in 2011, establishing him as a leader in his field. He has also conducted first-in-man pain and device studies. He treats patients with a wide range of interventional pain medicine approaches, including a combination of pharmacotherapy and systems approaches.
Dr Russo has a special interest and expertise in treating and researching Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. He has been a principal investigator of numerous clinical trials assessing new treatments for CRPS. He has conducted over 70 clinical trials in different treatment areas.
Dr Russo has published over 50 journal articles. Click here to view the complete list of publications on ResearchGate. He is a nationally and internationally requested speaker at Pain and Neuromodulation conferences. He is president of the International Neuromodulation Society and one of the founding members of the Neuromodulation Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Russo’s current external appointments include:
- President of the International Neuromodulation Society (INS)
- Director at Large of Neuromodulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (NSANZ)
- Conjoint Associate Professor, School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, College of Health, Medicine and Wellbeing, University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
- Deputy Chair of the NSW Regional Committee of the Faculty Pain Medicine, Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
- Examiner for the Faculty of Pain Medicine (ANZCA) and serves on five other faculty committees
- Honorary Associate Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Hong Kong
Dr Russo is available for appointments outside of research at Hunter Pain Specialists, Newcastle NSW.